Friday, January 24, 2014

Thrifty Thursday: Frame Redo

It's a FABULOUS FRIDAY Y'ALL!!  Especially when they call school off for me!  I meant to write a "Thrifty Thursday" post yesterday, but totally came home and passed out after work!  I think I am going into hibernation mode!  I love the cold, but I think my body is wishing for summer and flip-flops!!  Today, it's like 10 degrees outside.  Too cold for painting.  Monday was a different story. It was 50 degrees or so and I was off school for Martin Luther King Day!  When it's a nice day outside, I take advantage of that and breakout the paint cans!  As you will start to notice...most of my projects include spray paint!

Here is a frame that I just had to paint and distress.  I have big plans for this piece!  I have chicken wire and clothespins that will turn this frame into a picture display center for my living room!  I think this will be great to change out pictures and other seasonal items easily.  I will post more pictures as soon as I get the chicken wire in!





This is what it looked like before.



I found it in my mom's garage!  She is a total pack-rat!  Sadly, I have taken after her and now my husband has to suffer!  


I spray painted it with a flat, white paint.  Spray paint dries really fast so this project took no time to do!


Pour some tinted mixing glaze in a paper cup.  You only need a few tablespoons for this project.


Start in one corner of the painted frame.


With a paintbrush, cover the entire corner with the tinted glaze.  Make sure that you fill in those cracks really well.  This will help show all of those intricate details better.


It is very important to not let it dry.  Immediately start wiping it off with a paper towel, rag, or old sock.


Keep rubbing it in until it is perfectly distressed!


You will want to do the same thing with the sides of the frame.  I just do a messy job of painting on the glaze.  This project is great for people that have a hard time with precision.  The quicker and messier you do this project the better!!


Here it is!  The AFTER PICTURE!

As I said before, I will post more pics to show you how I turn this into a picture board using chicken wire and clothespins!!





Stay Warm,
Rachel

1 comment: